Thoughts on Identity, Privacy, and Safety

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Creators of Online Identities

We really are creators, especially for online identities, when you start to think about all the different things we are able to do online as well as the different aliases we occur from the starting point of our online identity. How were we to know that all these little things could add up one day.

We have screen names from many different instant messaging providers, which we don’t use anymore because social networks have their own chat functions. Different email addresses as the instant messaging services provides you with one since you made an account with them besides the email address that you probably had before signing up for instant messaging.

Then for those out there that are online gamers, they have screen names that they go by which are different for every online game that they are involved in as well as the gaming site storing the users information like email addresses and credit card numbers, if the gaming site isn’t free. Plus, since most of us use iTunes we have an apple account so that they can get credit card information and know where to send bills and email the receipts.

We constantly create identities that lead to more information getting out about us online which can be tracked back to us. Who would have thought that when we first started our online activity that it could escalate this far? Our creation of online identities grow every day and most of the time we probably don’t realize that we make our identities until after we realize that we game companies the information.

2 comments:

  1. Every day I worry about all the online accounts I have made over the years. Of course, I can't remember how to access all of them in order to remove them. You truly have to be organized to keep up with the identities that you create online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely remember making my first email account and IM screenname. It's crazy to think how long ago that was and how much has been going on since then. I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. A while after I got onto facebook, I remembered my old xanga account, and after going through it was pretty quick to delete it. I was amazed at the information I had just left there for a few years, open for anyone to see. Most of it was irrelevant to my life at that point, but it goes along with the identity creation you were talking about.

    ReplyDelete