Facebook has a feature that doesn't help with the privacy and safety of the user or any of their friends on Facebook. The check in feature allows any Facebook user to "check in" to a location which then posts on Facebook with a map to the location plus if you click on the location you can see how many miles away the location is from your location.
The other people that get tagged in the location have no way to know that someone tagged them in a location until the next they log onto Facebook. I know that some of my friends have asked me in the past if it was okay that they tagged me in certain locations because those who get tagged then have the check in location posted on their Facebook wall. This is just another way that we can see privacy and safety issues constantly arising through Facebook.
Without knowing what someone's privacy settings are can make it difficult for those who don't want to have information containing their location. I know that I'm okay with friends tagging me in certain locations such as when we are at Aggie sporting events because there are so many people there and I don't feel like I am endangering myself by letting it happen. But really when you think about it checking in somewhere can be dangerous depending on your privacy settings.
But lately I have noticed that Facebook has been trying to get users to review their privacy settings which include options about allowing friends to tag you in posts, pictures, and locations where you can choose to option to where you must okay it before the posts gets shown on your profile. This setting now gives the user more control over the information that is released about them. Checking in can still be a privacy and safety matter, it just depends about your settings and how comfortable you are with that information being out there.
The check in feature on Facebook is a neat feature but definitely has its concerns. Like you said I wouldn't be too concerned if someone tagged me in a general area, but I do not know how I would feel if someone checked me in at my house which also gave the address. I think this can be a dangerous from many different aspects.I agree Facebook has made an effort to enhance the privacy feature, hopefully they will continue to do this.
ReplyDeleteI absolutly hate the check in feature. I don't think that my facebook friends need to know where I am. I got mad one time when a friend who checked me in and now I ask firends not to do that. I think that it is unsafe to people on facebook to know your every movement.
ReplyDeleteI have used the check in feature before, but I have never tagged any of my friends in it. I feel as though it is definitely their business to let others know of their own whereabouts. It has it's concerns, like you said, but I feel as though it is not a big deal. People are responsible for their own actions, and as far as checking themselves in at a certain location, they are aware of the consequences for doing so.
ReplyDeleteThis check-in feature is really intrusive to me. I've heard of situations where students had issues with an ex and the ex was able to learn of their whereabouts via Facebook. Of course, Facebook has recently allowed more control over information via enhanced privacy settings. However, are these enhanced settings really enough?
ReplyDeleteI really don't like the check-in feature for two reasons:
ReplyDelete1) Who cares?
2) It can be very dangerous!
Not only is it a privacy issue, but it is also kind of pointless. All of your Facebook friends don't need to know of your whereabouts every waking hour of the day.